The unspoiled nature around Brisbane
Itinerary day by day
DAY 1 : BRISBANE
Welcome to Brisbane!
On arrival at Brisbane Airport, transfer to the hotel, own arrangement.
DAY 2 : BRISBANE
Join The Brisbane By Bicycle Morning Tour which offers a scenic and leisurely ride around the best parts of the Brisbane River – which means no hills and no cars. The tour visits all of the main inner-city areas of Brisbane with regular stops to tell some stories and take photos. The tour takes in the history and culture of the Kangaroo Point cliffs, stunning city views from the iconic Story Bridge, panoramic views of the Brisbane River from Wilson’s Lookout and the city from a local’s perspective in the tranquil riverside suburb of New Farm. After free time to explore Brisbane’s Cultural Hub, the Brisbane Powerhouse, the tour then stops for an extended morning tea break in one of Brisbane’s most beautiful parks. The tour continues along the famous riverwalk, stopping at the riverside eating and drinking percent of Eagle Street Pier, the Brisbane Botanical Gardens and then concluding at the Wheel of Brisbane in the beautiful Southbank Parklands.
OPTIONAL: In the afternoon, visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary with a river cruise. The Koala and River Cruise is a memorable journey on the Brisbane River to the oldest and largest Koala Sanctuary in the world. The cruise travels through the city’s most historic landscapes, iconic attractions, historical home sites and interesting wildlife habitats as you listen to an entertaining and informative commentary. 3 hours to spend exploring Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where you can hand-feed kangaroos and emus, experience an authentic Australian sheepdog in action, spy on a shy platypus swimming, see the amazing birds of prey.
DAY 3 : FRASER COAST
4 Day Fraser Island/Lady Elliot Great Barrier Reef tour – (departs Tuesday, Friday & Saturday).
We head out of the Brisbane driving north through the Sunshine Coast, Glasshouse Mountains and Noosa. We travel via 4WD (tides permitting) on Noosa North Shore and Double Island Point. The coloured sands of Rainbow Beach on our right and Fraser Island on our left. With your local guide and driver stop for an early Lunch at Rainbow Beach. Take time to relax, visit the local beach, take a swim overlooking coloured sands or wander through local shops.
We then 4WD along tracks to Inskip Point beach and Fraser Island lookout, before boarding your ferry cruise to Fraser Island. All ferry tickets and national park fees are pre-arranged to save time. As we cruise across the Straight, photo Tin Can Bay, Fraser Island’s west coast and Hervey Bay, and keep a look out for dolphins, turtles, dugong, sharks, eagles, sea birds and fish. Arrive Fraser Island world heritage National Park. Your local guide will give information and stories both old and new as you 4WD Fraser Island’s 75 Mile Surf Beach with an eye out for dingoes, kangaroos and whales (in season).
4WD along the 75 Mile Beach highway pass as many as 8 Freshwater creeks, Hook Point before arriving magnificent Lake Wabby walking track. This emerald green lake is surrounded by a massive sand blow and native Eucalypt forest. This is the deepest lake on the island. Spot turtles, take photo’s of the famous sand dune, build sandcastles, or just work on your tan. Return through melaleuca and cycad forest to permanently erected campsite at Dilli beach. Enjoy a hot shower or swim in the beautiful fresh waters of Govi Creek before dinner and drinks around the campfire. Keep an eye out for those dingos!!!
DAY 4 : FRASER COAST
The morning is yours to enjoy an early sunrise over the ocean, a great time to dingo search or bird watch. On return, enjoy a continental breakfast from the camp kitchen with log tables, seating & gas facilities. With your guide take the 75 Mile Beach highway to the beautiful Eli Creek. Enjoy floating down the fastest flowing creek on the island. Marvel at the coloured sand formations of The Pinnacles.
Photo the famous Maheno Shipwreck and learn about how it came to rest on Fraser Island. Continue heading north along 75 Mile Beach for a swim in the Champagne Pools. Climb Indian Head, one of the few rocky outcrops on the island to see magnificent views, spot sharks, mantras, turtles and whales.
Return to camp for sunset, explore the walks close to the camp area or simply relax at camp before your guides prepare dinner. After dinner, relax around the campfire and enjoy the isolation of 75 Mile Surf Beach, the perfect place for stargazing.
DAY 5 : LADY ELLIOT ISLAND
After breakfast this morning, the first stop is Lake McKenzie. Sunbake, explore or chill and relax on the lakes perfect white sands and swim in the pristine fresh water. After drying off we make our way to the cool of the rainforest. Here you will take a boardwalk along the crystal clear waters of Wanggoolba Creek, spot fresh water eels, see magnificent rare giant King Fern and experience the unique world heritage Satinay Forest. Then take a hike through tropical rainforest at Central Station along the banks of Wanggoolba Creek to Pile Valley.
Depart Fraser Island via Hervey Bay Sea Ferry, see the west coast of Fraser Island and the Great sandy straights. Arrive Hervey Bay Airport for your charter flight across the Great Barrier Reef, arriving Lady Elliot Island – “Southern Great Barrier Reef.”
Lady Elliot Island is regarded as one of the best snorkelling and diving destinations on the Great Barrier Reef. The Island is situated within the highest protection zone of the Great Barrier Reef and is a haven for marine life including manta rays, turtles, whales, dolphins, sharks and the entire cast of ‘Finding Nemo’ – over 1,200 different species of marine life can be found around the Island. From beginners to advanced snorkellers or divers, you will experience the true wonder of the Great Barrier Reef without the need for a long boat trip.
Once checked in, why not go for a swim, or enjoy a reef walk? Reef walking is a great way to explore the reef in the Lagoon at low tide with the assistance of reef walking poles and seascopes. You can get up close and personal with the marine environment and discover a myriad of marine creatures including sea cucumbers, starfish, sea urchins, coral, clams, crabs and colourful fish of all shapes and sizes. Guided reef walks are offered daily, tides permitting. You will see a multitude of marine life as our experienced guide introduces you to the complexities of the reef eco-system and many creatures and things of interest that you might otherwise have walked straight past.
Enjoy your buffet dinner while you watch the sun go down over the Great Barrier Reef.
If you still have some energy left after an action packed day, you can join one of the free evening activities. These include:
- Island Whispers – Make your way to the lagoon bar at 6:00pm nightly for the gossip of the day and to book in for tomorrow’s watersport activities.
- Night Stalk – Feeling adventurous? Discover Lady Elliot Island by night! Find our nocturnal animals and learn about our resident ghost on the island (bring your torches).
- Quiz Nights/ Bingo and Games Evenings – Come along to the Lagoon Bar as we put you to the test and see how much you have learnt during your stay on Lady Elliot Island. An entertaining evening for all ages with the games on offer rotating throughout the week.
- Evening Presentations – Learn more about the Great Barrier Reef and Lady Elliot Island during our evening presentations in the Reef Education Centre. The presentations on offer rotate throughout the week.
- Star Gazing – Enjoy our spectacular night time skies as you lie on the airstrip and gaze up to the heavens. Bring along your favourite nightcap and pillow.
DAY 6 : LADY ELLIOTT ISLAND - BRISBANE
After enjoying your buffet breakfast, head out on your glass-bottom boat tour of the Reef! (Departs between 9:00am – 10:30am, depending on tides). Guests board the custom built vessel for a safety briefing and 20 minutes expert commentary about the coral and marine creatures that can be viewed through the glass enroute to the snorkelling spot. (Snorkel gear supplied) Guests then have the opportunity to snorkel and discover the wonders of the underwater world and meet the resident marine creatures of Great Barrier Reef. (These tours depart daily depending on tides and weather conditions.)
For afternoon activities, there are SO many options for you to choose from! Some free guided options include:
- Fish Feeding – An amazing array of reef fish appear at the ‘fish pool’ every day. Come with your reef walking shoes and immerse yourself in this awesome experience. Your guide will enlighten you regarding the fish and the way we feed them within the Marine Park. Duration 15 minutes.
- Bird Watching Tour – A huge variety of seabirds, land birds and migratory waders may be seen across our picturesque island. The Crested Terns lay their eggs in the open, while Bridled Terns and Silver Gulls prefer to nest under shrubs. Black-Naped Terns are also common on the island along with the spectacular Brown Boobies, lesser Frigate Birds and a small colony of Red-Tailed Tropic Birds. On this 45min walk find out why Lady Elliot Island is an ornithologist’s delight!
- Historical Tour – Step back in time to the years of the guano miners and lighthouse keepers. Find out how the Island has developed into what it is today.
- Island Discovery Tour – A 30 minute peaceful trek leaving from the Reef Education Centre. Find out why coral cays and their flora / fauna are so unique, and how the Island has become what it is today
- Behind the Scenes Tour – Ever wondered where the water you are drinking comes from? What about where the water from the shower goes and how we get electricity for the accommodation 80km out to sea? Come behind the scenes with us for 45 minutes and learn how an Eco Resort is run.
All good things must come to an end, and you will now be boarding your 4:00pm flight back across the Great Barrier Reef to Hervey Bay airport, where our friendly staff will meet you and transport you back to Brisbane while you sit back and relive an amazing four days of activities unlike anywhere else in the world.
DAY 7 : MORETON ISLAND
Depart for a 2 Day/1 night ECO-GLAMPING experience in Moreton Island with Australian Sunset Safaris.
Moreton Island is a unique paradise of golden beaches, rolling surf and beautiful fresh water lakes. Explore and snorkel the stunning Tangalooma Shipwrecks, and see the shipwrecks in our very unique “Transparent Kayaks.” Experience the exhilaration of sliding down the giant sand dunes of “The Desert” up to 70Km/h, enjoy the incredible scenic beauty of Cape Moreton, Blue Lagoon and the Eastern Surf Beaches. Moreton Island is one of the great adventure destinations in Australia, and with Sunset Safaris you will experience the very best natural attractions this world-famous Island has to offer. The award-nominated tour guides are tour professionals, with an intimate knowledge of Moreton Island’s unique attractions. Their mission is to make your visit to Moreton Island more than just a beautiful place to go, but an “Experience to Remember.”
DAY 8 : MORETON ISLAND - BRISBANE
A full day of adventure in Moreton Island including where you will see turtles, dolphins, coral and thousands of beautiful reef fish; stop and visit the beautifully romantic “Honeymoon Bay” and “North Point”.
Return to your Brisbane accommodation around 6:00pm.
DAY 9 : SPRINGBROOK NATIONAL PARK
Springbrook National Park – Rainforest Discovery Bushwalk Day Tour
Spectacular waterfalls, lush rainforest, ancient trees, impressive views, exceptional ecological importance and natural beauty make Springbrook National Park an outstanding World Heritage Area to visit. Our tours are suitable for nature lovers and outdoor people. Our day tours and walks are fully guided and consist of small groups.
- Discover the World Heritage Rainforest of Springbrook National Park through the eyes of a highly trained professional. Your guide will provide you with insights into characteristics of these Central Eastern Rainforest Reserves
- We start our program by visiting the spectacular Natural Arch. This amazing natural formation is a waterfall and cave all in one, courtesy of mother nature.
- Next we are off to Springbrook National Park. With waterfalls cascading overhead, marvel at the wonders of the rainforest while walking the Twin Falls Circuit. Our guided walk through sub-tropical and temperate rainforests takes you a little further, to the view points that most visitors miss out on.
- A fresh and delicious picnic lunch is made on site by your tour guide.
- Keep a lookout for native wildlife such as Wallabys and Rainforest Birds. If you are lucky, there are a number of rare wildlife that can be spotted from the tracks.
- See Native Wildlife, such as Platypus, spotted Quoll, Wild Australian Camel
- Wombat, Crimson Rosellas, King Parrots, Regent Bower Birds, Bush Turkeys,
- Kangaroos, Koalas, Wallabies and a swag of other Reptiles.
DAY 10 : END OF ITINERARY
Your amazing adventure comes to end.
Make your own way to the airport for your flight home. See you soon!
If you want to extend your trip, consider renting a car and visit the Gold Coast and Byron Bay.